Friday, November 30, 2007

A Quick Thought About How Good We Have It..


So I was out at the FOB (Foreward Operating Base) this whole week, and coming back to civilization this Friday made me really think about how good things are. The best part of of the FOB was believe it or not, the bathroom. Hot water, showerheads, mirrors. Simple things like this proved to be one of the bright parts of my day almost every day. We had pretty mediocre cafateria type food and MREs most of the time, but that food was some of the best I've had in awhile because it was all I had. There were 32 of us sleeping in a room no bigger than a small garage, and things like soft chairs, comfortable clothes, and riding inside of a car/truck were not to be had either.

I came back to Fort Sill's BOLC II barracks area, and felt like I was on vacation. There were only three of us to a room, you could take a shower as long as you wanted to, and I had my cin/raisen bagels in the drawer again. I came out to Atlanta Bread Company, had an italian and sausage pizza, a smoothie, and started posting on this blog and checking my email.

This is one thing I appreciate about the military. You realize how much you have once you leave it all, even if only for a week. Even simple things like sleep....yep, you don't get much in the military. This weekend I might as well be in the Colorado Rockies, on a Cancun beach, or home in Kansas City. For the next two days, I can do what I want, eat what I want, and sleep when I want. It's amazing. But, I'm off to the FOB again next week again, and while it's nothing close to what the deployed soldiers overseas endure, it definitly gives me a taste of very simple living.

So if you're bored, or think life is dull, you probably need to try life without several things you use daily. Things like free time, a soft chair, or even your own bed in your own room. I know I am much more appreciative of these "routine" good things.

No comments: